[Translate to English:] Professor Alberto Guadagnini
Full Professor and Department Head
Politecnico di Milano (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
Piazza L. Da Vinci, 32; 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel.: +39-02-23996263; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Education and Professional Career
- 2018 Visiting Professor: Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, Russian Federation.
- 2017- Director of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 2013- Adjunct Professor (Dept. of Hydrology and Water Resources - Dept. of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona USA).
- 2010-2016 Visiting Professor: Department of Hydrology and Water Resources, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA.
- 2011-2012 Visiting Professor: Department of Environmental Sciences and Energy Research, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100 Israel.
- 2010 Professeur Invité: University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France.
- 2003- Professor (Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics), Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 1998-2003 Associate Professor, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 1996-1998 Visiting Professor, Department of Hydrology and Water Resources, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA.
- 1992-1998 Assistant Professor of Hydraulic Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- University Education / Degrees
- 1993 Doctoral Degree in Hydraulic Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 1989 Graduation, Civil Engineering (Hydraulics), Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy
- Research experience spans theoretical/numerical and experimental projects, motivated and funded by applications to real problem, and focused on subsurface flow dynamics of (variably) saturated soils, parameter estimation, inverse modeling, geostatistics, stochastic analyses of flow and transport in geo-chemically active subsurface environments, scaling in hydrology & geophysics, data assimilation, model reduction for flow and transport problems, and uncertainty quantification in groundwater systems, from the pore- to the laboratory-, field- and basin-scale. Current research activities include (i) environmental protection of groundwater bodies; (ii) stochastic groundwater hydrology, (iii) delineation of wellhead and groundwater source protection regions, (iv) multiscale flow and solute transport in aquifers and reservoirs, (v) multiphase flows, enhanced oil recovery, and shale gas development, (vi) risk based corrective actions of subsurface energy development, (vii) environmental impacts of competitive use of groundwater.
- Key roles in EU framework projects (FP5-FP7, H2020: Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, Project leader, Supervisory Board member, and PI of numerous research projects.
- Awarded exclusive research projects on groundwater quality and conventional and unconventional subsurface energy resources by the industrial sector and by water and environmental public / private sector.
- Published more than 170 research papers in ISI rated, international, peer-reviewed journals, 118 of them over the last 10 years. Total of >3,500 citations; h-index: 34 (ISI).
- Over the last 5 yrs, 15 invited/keynote presentations at international conferences and workshops; lectures at universities and research institutions in Europe, North / South America, and China.
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Chaire Gutenberg and Prix Gutenberg 2018 (Cercle Gutenberg and Région Grand-Est).
- 2018 InterPore (International Society for Porous Media) Rosette.
- 2018 Outstanding Contributions in Reviewing, Jour. Hydrology.
- 2017 Water Resources Research 2016 Editor’s Choice Award.
- 2017 Outstanding Contributions in Reviewing, Jour. Comp. Phys.
- 2013, 2017 Excellence in Reviewing, Advances in Water Resources.
- 2008- Corresponding Fellow of the Istituto Lombardo, Accademia di Scienze e Lettere.
American Geophysical Union (since 1990); European Geosciences Union (since 2010); Society of Petroleum Engineers (since 2016); National Council of Engineers (Italy, since 1992); InterPore, International Society for Porous Media (since 2015).
Measures of Broad Impact and Selected Professional Activities
- 2020- Chief Executive Editor: Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (EGU).
- 2019-2020 President of the Committee of the Witherspoon Lecture Award (AGU).
- 2017- Director of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Politecnico di Milano.
- 2016- Chair of Communication Committee of InterPore (International Society for Porous Media).
- 2016- Faculty Advisor: Soc. of Petr. Eng. (SPE) Student Chapter at Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- 2015-2018 Member of the Committee of the Witherspoon Lecture Award (AGU).
- 2014-2019 Executive Editor: Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (EGU).
- 2013-2018 Head of the Doctoral Program in Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- 2011- Editorial Board, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment.
- 2011- Vice Chair of the Committee on Groundwater Hydraulics and Management (IAHR).
- 2009-2014 Editor, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (EGU)
- 2009- Editorial Board, Advances in Water Resources (Elsevier).
- 2008 Scientific Committee of the H+ observatory (France).
- 2007-2010 Head of the Doctoral Program in Water Engineering, Politecnico di Milano.
- 2004-2008 Associate Editor, Vadose Zone Journal (Soil Science Society of America).
- 2004- Associate Editor, Water Resources Research (AGU).
- 2002- Technical Committee for Hydrological Sciences Section - Sub-Division on Groundwater Hydrology (EGS - EGU).
- 2001- Expert, Research Proposal Evaluation Panels: European Union (European Research Council - ERC); European Union (FP5-FP6); Swiss National Science Foundation (Switzerland); Israeli Science Foundation (Israel); National Science Foundation (USA); Ontario Research Funds (Canada); Ministry of Science, Technology and Space (Israel); German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development; Università Italo-Francese; Alliance nationale de recherche pour l'environnement (AllEnvi, France); Italian Ministry of University and Research.
- 2000-2004 Associate Editor, Reviews of Geophysics (AGU).